Total Pageviews

Sunday, 31 October 2010

Stevenage 0-0 Chesterfield

Chesterfield remained top of League to after being held to an entertaining goalless draw by Stevenage at the Lamex stadium on Saturday.

Stevenage dominated much of the game and had several good scoring opportunities but couldn’t find a way through.

Chris Holroyd headed wide while Spireites keeper Tommy Lee denied both Stacey Long and Michael Bostwick from long range.

Chesterfield rarely threatened and the result means their lead at the top is cut to just one point while Stevenage slip to tenth.

Stevenage boss Graham Westley handed a debutant to Jay O’Shea, who signed on loan from Birmingham in the week, and he certainly justified his manager’s decision with an impressive performance.

Straight from the kick-off, the hosts looked lively and had the bulk of the early possession without creating much.

It took until the 23rd minute for Stevenage to fashion a goal scoring chance but Holroyd completely missed his attempted header from Lawrie Wilson’s cross.

Two minutes later Wilson was again the provider with another fine cross picking out Bostwick, who headed narrowly wide.

Stevenage were well on top as Chesterfield looked labored and never produced anything in the final third during a one-sided first-half.

Their dominance emphasised in the 35th minute when Holroyd and O’Shea produced a clever one-two but Holroyd fired a shot straight at Lee.

More good work from O’Shea then found Long in space 20-yards out and his low shot was well saved by Lee on the brink of half-time.

Chesterfield held on until the break after being thoroughly outplayed by Stevenage.

The second-half started in much the same manner as the first ended with the home side having all the possession.

Stevenage surged forward once again in search of the elusive goal and would have opened the scoring but for a stunning Lee save from Bostwick’s fierce shot.

Despite all their dominance, though, Stevenage couldn’t find the vital goal and as they continued to miss chances Chesterfield started to come into the game.

And they finally created their first scoring opportunity on the hour mark but top scorer Davies miss-timed his header and was only able to hit the side netting.

That chance seemed to spark the visitors into life as they looked the more likely to score in the remaining 20 minutes.

But there were no more chances as Stevenage held on for a draw, which was the least they deserved after an impressive performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment